View Single Post
Old Sat Nov 13, 2010, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa V View Post
Dhruba, in the US the standard is: if the patient is young (less than 40 yrs.) and has an HLA matched sibling, then transplant is usually recommended. If there is no match, or if the patient is older, then IST (ATG + cyclosporine) is usually the first line of treatment. In order to make a decision, you will need to first find out if your wife's sister is a suitable match. If not, then IST is the next step. If that doesn't work, then it's time to search for an unrelated donor.

Is ATG treatment available in Bangladesh? The rate of success of cyclosporine alone is not nearly as good as it is in combination with ATG. I would be concerned about that.
Dear Lisa,

Thank you very much for your reply. ATG treatment is not available in Bangladesh as there is no specialized hospital to support Haematology patient. Her doctor told us to try cyclosporin at least 3 months. But now she need blood transfusion. As far I know that blood transfusion can make BMT more complex. Now I want to know what will more feasible for me.

1. Wait 3 months and continue cyclosporine?
2. To take decision for BMT?

Thanks,
Dhruba
+8801717251152