View Single Post
Old Wed Feb 1, 2012, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg H View Post
Hey Dena!

I haven't heard of milk thistle for chelation, but I'm going to try to read up on it. If it pans out, I'd be interesting in trying it. Let us know if you find out more or if it works for you.

If you don't mind my asking, what is aB19 parvovirus? Sounds gruesome!

Take care!

Greg
Hi,
Re: the milk thistle, I will definitely pass along if this works.

Re the b19 parvo: B19 Parvovirus is Fifths Disease, which is a human only form and very common childhood disease. We are still unsure how I got it 3 months following my autostem cell transplant which I had for Heavychain Amyloidosis. This human form of parvovirus typically clears on it's own except when immuno-compromised. In this case immunoglobulin, given monthly in daily infusions for 5 days typically works. However we tried this for 6 months and the parvo still hung in there at low- ish levels. So, we then did a 2 week dose of Tamiflu, off label along, with immunoglobulin just to try something different and the parvo was finally gone. Can't say for sure if it was the Tamiflu, but...

Symptoms are typically not too bad and when I likely had it my immune system was still low following my transplant so I truly had no symtoms other than a crash in my blood counts. Therefore it took 2 weeks and a lot of tests to determine why my counts suddenly fell so drastically. Typically after a Parvo infection blood counts will rebound, however mine have not and since my clinic and the NIH see no reason for this they both have now decided I have AA. (I met with Dr Young & team at the NIH end November which is where my labs finally showed the Parvo was finally gone. My regular Hemotologist/Oncologist is affiliated with Fred Hutch and Seattle Cancer Care Alliance, so lots of experience with AA)

Sent from my mobile phone