View Single Post
Old Mon Aug 26, 2013, 08:19 AM

Single lineage (white blood cell) MDS?

Hi, I am hoping I can get some answers or find someone with a similar condition to me. I have lived somewhat of a roller coaster for just over a year and I am still quite unsure about my condition and my diagnosis. On my signature below you can see my most recent bloods and they are close to the low for the WCC as they have been for the last year. They have had some volatility but WCC has stayed below normal for all the year. It would appear that other than my platelets, which have been as low as 147 most the rest of my bloods counts are moving to the edges or outside the normal ranges. Other than the WCC, NEUT and LYMA nothing seems too extreme.
In August 2012 I had a bone marrow biopsy and I was told that I had myelodysplasia by a hematologist in a local but major hospital. I was told my bloods and biopsy were reviewed by a team of hematologists and the doctor said he was 90+ percent sure I had the disease. He told my wife and I that in his whole career (he looked like he had been around for a while) he had only had one wrong diagnosis, so he was pretty confident of his diagnosis. He told me that there was only one cure, a BMT and he then referred me to the only hospital in Ireland that performs BMT's. Since then I have been under the care of a fabulous doctor. My Bloods seemed to stabilize and get a little better and so then in around november time I was diagnosed with idiopathic chronic neutropenia.

In July this year I got a chest infection and was put on antibiotics. A few weeks later I had my bloods done and saw a new doctor as mine was on vacation. She told me there was no doubt that I have MDS. While there was clear 'morphological features of dysplasia in my bone marrow examination, there was no excess of blast cells" however I do not know my current blast count. My cytogenetic analysis was normal.

So I am a bit confused, is there anyone out there that has had a similar experience to mine. I would sure appreciate hearing from you if you do.

Also does anyone know if it is possible to have mild anemia with my blood counts. I have felt overwhelmingly tired at times recently and not sure if was caused by the very stressed work environment I am currently in and/or by trans atlantic travel.

Thanks in advance.

Male 52, MDS, First diagnosed August 2012, then changed to idiopathic Neutropenia Nov 2012 and again diagnosed MDS July 2013, 3 Different doctors. WCC 2.3, HB 12.8, PLT 182, RCC 4.01, HCT 0.397, MCV 99, MCH 30.6, MCHC 32.5, RDW 15, NEUTA 0.7, LYMA 1.2, MONA 0.1, B12 651, Folate 9.4.

Last edited by Cornelius : Mon Aug 26, 2013 at 08:29 AM. Reason: does not seem to have included my signature