View Single Post
Old Tue Aug 30, 2011, 07:23 AM

My son was given bactrim 3x to combat MRSA from Sept to Feb of 2011. His blood counts were never drawn which is the drug manufactures recomendation. His last dose of Bactrim was Feb 23 2011. On March 23 he was admitted to the ICU of OSU hospitial with a wbc 2.2 hgb 3.1, plateletts 5 and ANC .01. When it first happened I got on the internet searching for any reason this happened and combing through his medical records. What I found was Bactrim is banned in other countries. There was a writer I think in England who pushed to have it banned by combining all of his readers responses to the drug. This was all while we were in the middle of the crisis of ICU so I dont recall everything but I do know that everything I read told me to stay away from Bactrim. I don't know if it was the cause of Trevor's disease, I do know that noone ever checked his counts while he was on extended doses of this drug which may have caused them to see his numbers slip earlier. But since you will never know what the cause may have been , you work to address where you are now and look for other options if possilbe. Unfortunatly Trevor is in the prison system and it is the only antibiotic they use. (I wonder what that means) So when he developed an infection since he began ATG/cyclosporin they put him on Bactrim. He doesnt get a choice. Your sister does, I would take it.