View Single Post
Old Tue Jan 26, 2016, 01:17 PM

I had a transplant 18+ months ago. All went well for 3 months when I got c.diff, cmv, and GVHD. I was in the hospital with one foot in the grave with the other on a banana peel. I could not eat for the 2 months and went from 170 to 130, mostly muscle loss. After 2 months I was sent home on TPN. I slowly recovered and in a few months could walk 5 miles. At year 1 I got a bad case of GVHD and was treated at home. They increased my prednisone slowly up to 120 mg. a day. GVHD improved. Over the past 5 months I have tapered down to 5 mg. and a lot of the prednisone side effects have improved. I am down to 20 pills a day. I can walk 5 miles again.

The human body is pretty tough if you give it a chance. Listen to the doctors and take the advice which makes sense. Feel free to question them. They are not always right. I have had a lot of doctor visits (550 medicare claims in the past 2 years). Recently in one week I had 7 scheduled appointments. I thought enough is enough and fired 4 of my doctors. I am now down to about 2 a week.

BCBI is a very good transplant center. I almost choose it, but I ended up using University of Colorado. Both are very good choices.

You probably know your mother better than some of the doctors. Do what is best for your mother. At 60 she is still young. I am 75. I wish you both well.

Ray