View Single Post
Old Sun May 1, 2011, 04:19 PM

February 15, 2007

Over two decades ago, I had a dear friend who was diagnosed with acute myelogenous leukemia. It prompted me to get registered in the National Bone Marrow Donors Registry. I was a healthy, energetic woman in her 20's at the time, why not?!

In January 2006, I was contacted by the registry and told that I was a perfect match for someone in need. "Wow!" I thought, "This is fantastic." To be honest, I never thought I would be a match for anyone -- the chances are so great, it's like winning the lottery! I went in immediately and was told that my marrow was for a little boy about three years of age who was suffering from a myelodysplastic syndrome. I was also told that even though I was a perfect match, there was another "almost perfect" match from a male doner that they were going to consider before mine and that I would not know if I would be the donor for a few more weeks.

I was a little shocked that gender played any role in marrow donation. Most of the people I had known over the years who had received transplants had received them from the opposite sex, with no ill affects. My friend Bob had received his transplant from a woman and he did not grow breasts or lose his mustache as a result of the transplant. To this day, he beat his leukemia and is alive and well and living large in Virginia.

A few weeks later, I was informed that they were going to take the male donor's marrow. They thanked me for my time and effort and told me they would only be in touch if the transplant failed.

An entire year went by and then out of the blue, I was contacted by the registry. The "almost perfect" match from the male donor had failed. There was no time to waste and they needed me in for testing ASAP. The very next day, I was giving blood and jumping through hoops in order to donate. Within a week and a half, on February 15, 2007, I was on the operating table and giving my marrow for this little boy, who by this time I estimated was only around four, maybe five years of age. The thought of saving a life, especially that of a child, was just such an honor to me.

I had heard all kinds of stories about donating marrow. Especially how painful it is and how miserable I was going to feel afterward. Well, let me tell you, I experienced none of that. I had the most amazing doctor at the transplant center in Phoenix. I awoke with no ill feelings and when I got up from the bed, I had no pain at the incision sites on the back of my hips. I never needed any of the pain meds they prescribed to me. I gave myself one day to rest and I was back at work on the second day! My incision sites were two tiny knicks in the skin and today, I cannot even find them.

I'm not sure if the little boy lived sinced the local marrow donor organization will not share information between parties. I like to think he made it. I sent a prayer with that marrow to help heal the little guy. I told my marrow to hold strong and do its job. I would like to think that angels helped deliver my marrow and its message to my little recipient.

I just want to tell everyone out there that has a chance to donate: DO IT. It's a wonderful, positive thing that you won't ever regret. An absolute honor! Don't be scared. You were chosen for a reason and someone's life depends on you. Go for it and good luck!

Last edited by bitsNbobs : Thu May 5, 2011 at 11:32 PM.