Thread: Worse Condition
View Single Post
Old Thu Apr 19, 2012, 10:07 AM

Worse Condition

Hi All,
My sign-in is Beth, but since we have another Beth now, I will start to sign in as Beth (Kay) to help keep us straight.

My husband is worsening the last few weeks. I can't tell if it is the Vidaza (two mths) or the illness. His red cell transfusions are becoming more frequent (four days this time.) The platelets transfusions don't seem to be responding much at all, but the white cells have started responding to Neulasta better now, which is new.

They don't do the platelet txf until they reach 10 so his bruises are bad, peteechia (sp?) and purple circles here and there, and mouth bad with both. He has lost his appetite and lost five lbs in the last five days. This is the week after the 2nd Vidaza. I am not sure his body can stand this particular med. They started him on continuous oxygen yesterday and he was confused off and on last week and this one. He also was having chest pain and shortness of breath almost constantly. He responded well to Dacogen for two yrs but they stopped to see how his bone marrow would do on its on and nos had dropped a point or two. I wish we could go back and try it again.

Guess I just needed to whine a little to all of you. We don't have any family close by to help and it is becoming very hard to drive 40min to treatment every day or one thing or another. His youngest son is going to try to come a day or two next week, but it will be hard for him under his circumstances. I love this man dearly (30 yrs 2nd marriage) and it is so hard to see him so weak and suffering like this. I could cry buckets, but doubt it would help much. Thank you for listening.

Beth (Kay)
Husband -MDS RAEB; Dx 4-07;age 73; Blasts 6.6%. Dacogen successful for 2 yrs; WBC (1.21-2.3);Platelets-12; RBC 2.22. Lenolid 100 mg and Pred(30mg) 4m. Disc. Procrit & Neupogen 3wk for last 3m. Trx every 2 wks. Platelet trx 2wks past. Started Vidaza 3-12-12 five days on, 3 wks off.