View Single Post
Old Sun Jun 8, 2014, 07:57 PM

I never knew the reason why but my haematologist would fast all day until sunset. He did allow himself to have black coffee. I knew him for years and he just would not eat during daylight hours...he was also a vegan. He had the energy most of us could only dream of. This is very different to everything I've always been told...that's it's best not to eat after sunset.

The current thinking for losing weight is that if you disrupt your metabolism by fasting occasionally, you lose weight easier. It's important not to fast for more than two days at a time otherwise your body goes into starvation mode and metabolism slows down.

Before I had my surgery last year I had to go on a liver cleansing diet. It was totally different to the typical vege juice diet. I ate three meals and two snacks a day. Breakfast was lean bacon and poached egg with black unsweetened coffee. Morning tea was a passionfruit with black unsweetened coffee, lunch was lean cold cuts with boiled egg and the coffee again, afternoon tea was a handful of berries with coffee and dinner was a small lean steak with tomato. I was permitted balsamic vinegar or Worcestershire sauce, salt pepper and spices for taste. I could only drink water after dinner. I lost 17 lb in 8 days and at surgery my liver was found to have no fat. This high protein, very low carbohydrate diet was very effective but also very unhealthy for the long term so it was not recommended to do it for more than two weeks.