View Single Post
Old Fri Dec 30, 2011, 08:28 AM

We all look for re-assurance and this is quite natural. But I would caution looking into things too much - like a previous poster has said...research is based on Norms and on those particular individuals who took part in the statistical work. Even with the worst possible predictions people do and will get better! Sometimes too much knowledge can be a bad thing - I nearly gave up when everyone said "oh if you havent responded by 6 months then they consider the treatment has failed" my consultant does not buy into this, he said that he was going on what my marrow looked like at 6 months and that he saw a tiny improvement and based on this took advice from prof. marsh down in London who said he was correct to wait a while....now 10 months in and my figures are slowly climbing which goes to show that certain predictions were wrong. I am no way out of the woods yet, but I now no longer go searching and searching on the internet only to scare myself half to death with the statistics of survival. We are all on the same journey, we are all going to die one day....just I would rather it was in about 25 years from now (well into my late 70's by then!) Lots of stress and worrying does not help with the healing process and even people who are 100% fit and well go out in their cars and die in road traffic accidents! In essence, I am not preaching to not find out information, but to just take things as statistics, we are all different, we all heal at different rates, we are unique...take each day as it comes if you can. xxx