View Single Post
Old Wed Aug 27, 2014, 02:41 PM

Eltrombopag

I did a trial of eltrombopag (Promacta) this past spring as a last-ditch effort, before going to transplant, to try to remedy my lack of platelet production. My marrow had no megakaryocytes and was thus making no platelets; basically all I had were the ones from transfusions twice a week. I have had two rounds of ATG/CsA, and various other drugs as well. Unfortunately, I had no response to eltrombopag. I had always dragged my feet about transplant, as I was/am extremely healthy and fit. This is an odd way to make a decision, but my doctors (and second opinion doctors) finally just wore me down -- after two years -- with their arguments in favor of transplant. I am one of the lucky ones. So far, so good -- no complications. I feel absolutely great, and am extremely fortunate and thankful that it has turned out this way.
Marmab, F65, SAA/hypo MDS dx 7/2011. Tried ATG/CsA, IvIG, Rituxan, prednisone, Promacta -- none of these helped. Transfusion dependent until MUD BMT 7/17/14. Prep. regimen of Campath, Fludarabine & Cytoxan. Doing great. 100% engraftment. No GVHD.