View Single Post
Old Thu Dec 31, 2015, 02:20 AM

this is a good thread - here's my 2cents. My threshold was 10k or being symptomatic. We have an outpatient infusion center that we use whenever possible and try to avoid the ER like the plague that it can be given the relative lack of knowledge about MDS. I did not have any platelet transfusions until my transplant with the exception of getting dental work done. I lived for almost 5 years without transfusion as my platelets stayed between 20k and 30k the entire time.

For the most part the answer about when to transfer is 2 parts practical to 1 part personal. We obviously want to know that the transfusion is needed, and then want to be sure that we are comfortable living with the number that we create with the doctor.

Good luck with the pending transplant!
MDS RCMD w/grade 2-3 fibrosis. Allo-MUD Feb 26, 2014. Relapsed August 2014. Free and clear of MDS since November 2014 after treatment with Vidaza and Rituxan. Experiencing autoimmune attack on CNS thought to be GVHD, some gut, skin and ocular cGVHD. Neuropathy over 80% of body.