View Single Post
Old Fri Dec 12, 2008, 10:39 PM

Hello,

Isn't it odd how some people develop antibodies more than others. I've just had my 117th unit of blood and so far have developed an anti K antibody only. I'm surprised that I only have 1 antibody because the nurses aren't always very vigilant about either using a filter or using the filter for too many units (some are meant to be used for 1 unit and some for 2 units) or the one I hate most, flushing saline through the filter, after the blood has been given. That negates the purpose of putting the filter on in the first place.

I never say anything, I just sit there and am amazed at the lack of uniformity of practice amongst the nurses. Some are excellent and precise, others don't know but admit it and ask other nurses for help and others are so bad, with sloppy practice and they are very scary.(how easily an incompetent nurse could harm or kill you)

I also get a rise of 10 Hb for each unit of blood, and I've noticed that my skin and eyes get a yellow tinge to them at about 3 weeks which I've always assumed has been from the blood cells dying off. I also have a constant low grade itch but this increases at about 3 weeks as well. I have also noticed that my face and neck become quite red in the few days following my transfusion. I always thought it was because I am so used to being a horrible yellowy white color, that the Hb increase and resultant "pinking up" is a bit of a shock.

I have to go, the housework is waiting for me. No one in this house to do it, except me. (I tried to train my 2 dogs, but they wouldn't cooperate)

Bye
Chirley
Xq19.36 mutation
Xq21.40. mutation
1p36. Mutation
15q11.2 deletion