View Single Post
Old Mon Oct 19, 2009, 01:54 PM

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by edo288 View Post
Good Afternoon Jerry:

I guess I should have added a the normal ranges for blood tests and their significance:

Blood - Units (Range)
WBC - K/cmm (4.8 - 10)
RBC - M/cmm (4.7 - 6.1)
NE# - K/cmm (2.2 - 4.80)
NE% - % (43 - 65)
HGB-FAV - g/dL (14 - 18)
HCT-FAV - % (42 - 52)
PLT-FAV - K/cmm (130 - 400)

As you can see, when you initially referred to your "RED CELLS as 10.4," you were probably referring to your hemoglobin. Hemoglobin is that part of the red blood cell that carries oxygen throughout the body.

Neutrophils are important because they are the white blood cell most indicative of your body's ability to fight infection. The International Prognostic Scoring System (IPSS) follows the Absolute Neutrophil Count (ANC) -- which is derived by multiplying the White Blood Cell (WBC) count by neutrophil percent (NE%). An ANC less than 1,500 (some say 1,800) indicates an inadequate immune system.

Platelets under 100,000 indicate a risk of internal bleeding.

Hope I'm not repeating what you already know. Just thought it might help.

Regards,

Ed
Thanks Ed for the explantion of the numbers etc. I am new to this website and I am trying to take in as much information as I can. My husband is 88 in a few days and I need to learn all I can before his next appointment. I did get a copy of his bloodwork and have asked for a copy of his biopy report. If anyone has any advice for me, I would greatly appreciate it.
Mary in Alabama