View Single Post
Old Sun Jun 1, 2008, 11:36 AM

Started Vidaza

Hi Amigos

Well My wife Nellie started on Vidaza treatments and has just completed her first series. It seemed her BC was dropping on avrg of 6-8 decimals per week. But since she began the Vidaza a week ago I noticed a larger drop. 9.6 <8.4. I expected the Vidaza to cause a drop so we were prepared for it. She needed a transfusion on Thursday. The only other side effect she experianced was some diariea after the first day on Vidaza with some tiredness. Otherwise she has done well.

Birgitta-A, I think your right. Both Dr's are probably saying the same thing. This treatment with Vidaza can be in preparation for a tx or for maintenance, if remission can be achieved, this would leave the door open for other possible choices. Such as:

The development of a new treatment where they collect patients' own blood stem cells, treat the collection with a virus that selectively targets cancer cells, and then re-infuse the cleaned up stem cells back into patients.
Currently testing this method is being done in animals, and they hope to have it up and running within a year.

If successful this would solve the rejection problems. Coupled with a mini transplant, reduce the risks significantly. Does anyone have any more info on this method of treatment??
Eli, husband of Nellie (64), dx 3/08 MDS RAEB-1 w/abs, 2nd BMB 9/08 after 4 cyls blast dn to .5, Vidaza reduced 50% on 11/19 after sudden drop in CBC, 8th cycle completed 12/26/08. BMB 2/09 blast 17%. Seven day Induction Therapy completed 3/23/09, Started Salvage Therapy 5/5/09. Stopped 5/8/09.