View Single Post
Old Sat Feb 27, 2016, 07:35 PM

Paul, I am having an interesting experience. About four months ago I developed a dry cough. They took a chest x-ray and told me I had pneumonia. It was strange, no fever and didn't feel too badly. I was given ten days of antibiotics and was feeling fine afterwards. Then I had my 16th bone marrow biopsy which was no problem. They tested several things. Still 100 percent donor, no mutations and no leukemia. The doctors referred to me as being "weird" (in a good way). About a week after that I started feeling weak, short of breath and couldn't walk more than about five blocks, but no pain. I had more x-rays, three echocardiograms,EKGs and a CAT scan. I had fluid around my heart (pericardial effusion). That was diagnosed as tamponade which can get your attention. They put me on diuretics and I lost 9 lbs. in a week. After about 15 days on the diuretics I was feeling fine and walking a fast mile again with no problems. I am feeling as well now as about any time since the transplant and ready to start golfing again (we have had a record rainfall winter). We still aren't sure what caused the heart/lung problems so that is what we'll be working on. I have no complaints about this and it has been interesting. I am at about Day 575 and have had it pretty easy. Can't think of any pain since the transplant and I am appreciative.