View Single Post
Old Tue Aug 14, 2012, 11:47 PM

Mediport

Linda;
Earl had a PIC line for almost 8 months (actually 3 different ones) but had been having trouble withdrawing from it. They could infuse without any problem, but the Doc and I thought it was time for a mediport, and it is definitely a God send - especially to me - since I was the one who was cleaning and flushing it daily, and with anything outside of the body, there is always more chance for infection - and Al certainly does not need that. They put Earl's in on his left side - they left the PICC line in for 2 weeks after they put the port in because he developed a hematoma around it, and they wanted it to heal before they used it. He was totally anesthetized, and went to the short stay unit before and after surgery - was discharged the same day.
But, with all of the transfusions Earl has been having - it is a blessing for sure. But, just like with a PICC line, a Registered Nurse has to do the blood draw. I take him in in the wheelchair, then I go back to the lab to pick up the tubes - then off to the infusion lab to see the nurses. By now, they all know us, and I just sign the paper and off we go. It just saves Earl steps, especially when he has been so weak. He has to have a blood draw twice a week, so when we go for the second one - I pre-register him for the next week, so if we do go early - you don't have to wait to register - it's all already there. Too - since his orders are always the same - the lab just jeep him in the 'standing orders' file, and I attached a copy of all of the Docs I want the results sent to - and they do it all for me - and we have 6 of them - the hema/onc here in New Castle, the hema/onc in Pittsburgh, his rheumatolgist, his APS Doctor, the Veterans Admin Doc, and Dr. Sekeres at the Cleveland Clinic. It makes it so much easier.
Both you and Al are in our prayers. Please keep us informed on how things are going.

((((HUGS))))
Beth

Last edited by milliken2 : Tue Aug 14, 2012 at 11:50 PM. Reason: misspelled word