View Single Post
Old Sun Jul 29, 2007, 08:10 PM
Administrator

Hi, Debbie.

Welcome to Marrowforums.

When I was diagnosed with aplastic anemia in 1996, I looked everywhere for information about what caused the disease, what the treatments where, what the side effects of the treatments might be, the life expectancy and so on. Older books and library materials painted a grim picture. But online I found more recent and encouraging information. If you have not already done so, you should order the basic information packet about aplastic anemia from the Aplastic Anemia & MDS International Foundation (toll-free at 1-800-747-2820 or at their website). Having the details helped me feel more in control and better partipicate in the decision-making with my doctors.

Recovery from aplastic anemia can be complete or partial and may last for years or only a few months. Patients are very individual in their responses to treatment. Are you receiving any treatment beyond transfusions?

It's also important to have a doctor who understands this disease and/or is affiliated with a large university/teaching hospital. Where are you being treated?

You'll find lots of people on this site who understand what you're going through. Please let us know what questions and concerns you have.

Regards,
Ruth Cuadra