View Single Post
Old Thu Sep 13, 2007, 11:41 PM

Mom has had AA for 12 years!

Debbie - So sorry for your diagnosis. My Mom has lived with AA now for 12 years; acquired at age 58.

One thing to consider (and this is easy for me to say, as I'm not the one going thru it) . . . is perhaps being aggressive with the disease while you're younger. My Mom is in a position now where her options are limited, due to her age . . . and some further complications of the disease, as it's progressed. She now has MDS. Even though she is 70, it still seems so young to have to give up on life. I'm hopeful they can do something. I wished she had maybe attempted BMT when first diagnosed (again, easy for me to say). With AA or MDS, the deficient marrow is THE problem.

Keep up your spirits as best as possible. I mention the 12 years with the disease, because, I believe at first diagnosis, her prognosis was not as rosy. But . . . stranger things happen. I think the human spirit and "will to live" and enjoy life have a part to play in all of this. And she has lived a mostly normal life during the last 12 years - traveling and such.

She has been treated by a well-known hematoligist in Boston (currently a teaching hospital) and is a member of the Harvard Medical School. So, I think she's in good hands.

Best wishes . . . and keep the faith!!