Thread: MDS in India
View Single Post
Old Sun Mar 7, 2010, 02:24 PM

MDS in India

Came across this wonderful forum while browsing for more information on MDS. Very Happy to find this place which helps shed more light into this disease.

My dad, 68 years, located in Chennai, India was dx earlier this week. We are awaiting the cytogenetics reports.

The prelim. dx for my dad is MDS with RAEB-2 - BMB reveals blasts < 10% with Auer rods and micromegakaryocytes, platelets just at or below normal, Neutrophils 16%.

He is a diabetic (30 years - type-2 which he kept under great control throughout the years with no insulin injection requirement). He has had no other previous problems and so his fatigue and lethargy three weeks back were a surprise to us; He never stops his daily exercise routine and when he did not feel like sticking to that routine, it was a give-away something was wrong. Initial tests revealed anaemia with low RBC and Hgb of 7.4 - which then led to further tests and now the dx of MDS !

So far the only treatment has been one dose of vitamin B-12 injection and he has started taking insulin injections as his blood sugar levels became erratic (the blood sugar has stabilized for now - he continues his insulin). We have been referred to an oncologist and have an appointment tomorrow to determine the next course of action.

I would love to hear back from anyone who has ideas on doctors/hospitals in India who specialize in MDS. This website identifies a good number of hospitals/doctors here in the USA, but this disease still seems relatively obscure in India. MDS foundation website lists Tata Memorial Hospital, Mumbai as a Center of Excellence. Wonder if anyone has any info to share in this regard.

I wish everyone and their family in this forum the very best and pray that your fight against this disease may result in a complete and permanent cure.