Thread: Anti E Antibody
View Single Post
Old Fri Jul 27, 2012, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkipM View Post
So in interpreting what you found online I'm guessing I do not have the E Antigen since I have the Anti-E Antibody.

But I have no idea what all of this means.
Hey Skip!

I've had upwards of 75 units, and have acquired three antibodies in the process Big-C, little-e, and a rare one in the K-series.

These are all various minor blood type groups. They are like the ABO blood typing system and the Rh + or - system, in that they involve various proteins, carbohydrates, or other substances on the surface of the blood cells (those are the "antigens."

If you have -- or develop -- an antibody to one of these antigens, then, ideally, you shouldn't be transfused with blood that is positive for that antigen, because it could cause a nasty allergic reaction, or, failing that, it could cause a hemolytic reaction in which all your nice new blood cells from the transfusion get broken up and flushed out your kidneys.

Once I acquired two antigens, the local blood bank asked for an extra day to find blood for me. They typically have to work with one of the larger regional blood centers to come up with blood that has tested negative for C & e. So, even though I am in NC, my blood often comes from a huge regional blood bank in St. Paul, MN.

The extremely helpful person who runs my local blood bank explained that medical device companies sell screening systems that can identify the more common antigens. So my blood bank simply orders up some C- e- blood for me.

Unfortunately, the third antibody I have is rare enough that it's not in the screening systems. So the local folks have to do the testing the old fashioned way, mixing in a little of the blood that comes in which my blood, and making sure they don't get a reaction. As a result, a couple of times they have had to reorder units, delaying my transfusion date by a day.

My university hematologist told me that folks who form one antibody are likely more susceptible to forming additional antibodies as they have more and more transfusions.

One other word to the wise. My highly knowledgeable local blood bank manager explained to me that, even though I have the C & e antibodies, they have basically dropped to an undetectable level at this point. So, if I went to some other hospital to be transfused, they might not pick up on the problem. Hence I wear medic alert dog tags that say "Transfusion Precaution," mention the C- & e- and have the phone number of my local blood bank. It's a small hospital, so everyone in the lab knows who I am.

Hope that helps.

Take care!

Greg
Greg, 59, dx MDS RCMD Int-1 03/10, 8+ & Dup1(q21q31). NIH Campath 11/2010. Non-responder. Tiny telomeres. TERT mutation. Danazol at NIH 12/11. TX independent 7/12. Pancreatitis 4/15. 15% blasts 4/16. DX RAEB-2. Beginning Vidaza to prep for MUD STC. Check out my blog at www.greghankins.com