View Single Post
Old Mon Jul 8, 2013, 10:21 AM

copper deficiency

Hi Chirley,
I am glad that you are feeling better. I am no expert and I know that you have to be cautious about what you read online but I came across an old paper on copper which stated that "Vitamens C, B6, folic acid and zinc are copper antagonists". Also another line said " the need for Vitamens A, C, B6, B3(niacin), and B5 is reduced in the copper deficient state". Therefore I would wonder if you might not be doing more harm than good by taking the vitamens B6, folic acid, etc. and I would caution about the niacin. On the other hand the B12 and Vitamen D would probably be recommended certainly if your levels are low. Were you taking copper sulfate IV or another form? You might be getting demyelination of the optic nerves due to the copper deficiency similar to what people with multiple sclerosis get? I just wish there was some way you could get the copper deficiency corrected but I understand that the neurological deficits might remain although the blood counts might improve some. Does the Metabolic MD not have any other suggestions? Good Luck tytd