View Single Post
Old Fri Sep 13, 2013, 12:28 AM

Heather,

I was the transplantee. My husband and I kept a blog, mausmarrow.com. If you go to the archives for December 2010 - May 2011, you will get some insights from our experience. My biggest complaints were nausea and dysgeusia (everything tasted bad). My husband made me special milkshakes to keep me going. We cleaned out the fridge and pantry completely and started everything fresh. I didn't keep leftovers for more than a few days. Before coming home, we had the house thoroughly cleaned and took up the area rugs for the first six months. We didn't permit anyone to visit who was ill. We keep hand sanitizer by the door for everyone to use as they enter.

Mostly, I needed lots of rest. I've never been partically active - basically a loner computer nerd, ha ha, so my recovery was not difficult from from the standpoint of restrictions. I had trouble concentrating so watched tv shows instead of my usual computing, video gaming, or reading. I am not usually a tv watcher but that's all my attention span would allow the first few months. I used my ipad a lot with simple apps. I didn't really need much assistance with anything. I waited a few months before driving, again because of attention span. My cats were close by my side to keep me entertained. Hope this helps.

Best wishes to you both!
Karen
Karen, age 62, dx MDS RAEB-2 1/8/10: pancytopenia WBC 2.7k/Hgb 7.4/Hct 22.1/Plt 19k; complex cytogenetics -3,del(5)(q14q33),-6,+8,+mar,17% blasts. MUD BMT Johns Hopkins 11/30/10. Dx tongue cancer 8/31/12. ok now. blog mausmarrow.com