View Single Post
Old Wed Apr 15, 2015, 04:00 PM

Explore treatment options

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsandrock91 View Post
I have been told i have anemia since 2009, was just diagnosed with Aplastic anemia last year in September. My current numbers are WBC 4.1, RBC 2.54, HGB 9.0, Platelets 27. The other numbers from the CBC I don't know what they are or what they mean. When ever I went to the doctor they would tell me my iron is low but wouldn't offer any treatment or made it out for me to believe it was nothing to worry about. When I was diagnosed my platelets were at 14 I think and now they are at 27. Was told that my numbers have been dropping since 2009, but just found out about it because the doctors never told me my levels or that I should be concerned about it. Even though I'm diagnosed my current Dr had hard time coming to a conclusion about what my issues were. She told me that I meet most of the criteria for aplastic anemia but not all, and currently not doing any treatments except monthly CBC. Every time I go to get a new CBC and the numbers seem even lower to me the doctor and nurses don't seem as worried as I am. I feel like I'm the only one concerned and worried; and its extreamly frustrating.
Delesa,

Have you had a bone marrow biopsy? Do you have doctors who are very familiar with possible AA treatments? We all have individual blood count numbers but yours remind me of mine before I had my first treatment at Stanford in 2008. I live in a rural area and my doctor here wanted me to go to a hospital that had lots of experience with AA. I responded well to an ATG with Cyclosporin treatment, and was able to be transfusion free in about three months with blood counts rising again to a decent level. I feel very fortunate to have a caring team of doctors and to have treatment options available that allow me to go on. At your age I would think you might be a good candidate for a bone marrow transplant?

Good luck to you and tell your doctors you would like to hear about treatment options. It's not easy, but it is worth the fight!

Sally D