View Single Post
Old Wed Apr 19, 2017, 06:11 AM

Final stages of MDS...

I haven't posted in a long time but I find myself coming back to the place that informed me most at the beginning of my mother's illness. After 36 months, my mother is now entering the final stages. Until recently, she did amazingly well on Vidaza for MDS High Risk II, diagnosed at 78 yrs of age. So for those of you out there, still wondering if there is life after diagnosis, my mother is proof of that. I've had 3 mostly great years to spend as much time with my mum as possible, and through it all, I have been amazed and inspired by her courage and ability to live in the moment! For the most part, by looking at her, you would never know she was dealing with a terminal illness.

Since March, we've seen a constant decline in her hemoglobin and platelets. She was admitted to hospital on Good Friday with a temp of 40 and very low counts (53 and 4 respectively). They've managed to get her temp down however, even with 6 transfusions since Friday, her counts are not staying up....especially her platelets. The doctor told us yesterday that unless they come back up after she has completed her IV antibiotics, they will likely stop all treatments as there isn't anything else that can be done. They also told her that it's unlikely she will get to go home again....

It goes without saying that although we'be known this was coming, it's still heartbreaking. As I suspected all along however, my mother is the strongest one of the bunch! Her faith has been her pillar of strength and I so admire that in her.

I'm wondering if someone could help me to better cope with the days ahead so that I can be there for my dear mother..... I have been with her through this entire process and while it has been difficult, it also has been a very special time as we grew closer together and I feel like I'm about to lose not only my mum, but a great friend!

Thanking you in advance for your support.

Annette. (Daughter of an amazing woman!)