View Single Post
Old Thu Oct 9, 2014, 08:15 AM

Dangerously Low (and falling) Cholesterol Numbers

About 15 years ago, before any MDS issues, my cholesterol tested a bit on the high side (~220), but got to normal range (~200 total cholesterol) by eating healthy for two weeks and retesting.

The issue: Around the same time of my MDS diagnosis (June 2012), my lipids were tested and I was at a total cholesterol of 131, with a very healthy HDL (I don't remember the precise numbers.

Then, lipids retested in January 2013 and the total cholesterol dropped to 116 (HDL/53; Non-HDL/63 ; Triglycerides/59; LDL/51)

Now, total cholesteral has dropped much further to a total cholesterol of 96 (HDL/49; Non-HDL/47 ; Triglycerides/42; LDL/39).

Hypocholesterolemia, unbeknownst to many, is a very bad medical issue in its own right, and has been linked to heart failure, strokes, deppression/suicides, anger management and other cognitive issues.

Does anyone else have falling cholesterol and/or know what is causing this and/or knows what to do about it?

Has anyone found a doctor with expertise in this matter?

Thanks!

I was diagnosed with RARS with 1% blasts June 2012. Hgb now around 9, good platelet count around 300 and ANC of around 1.5. No transfusions. Only weekly Aranesp.

My chromosome abnormalities are SF3B1 and DNMT3A. And I have acquired Trisomy 21.