View Single Post
Old Wed Oct 15, 2014, 06:37 PM

Chirley,

The article that Marlene linked has the formats to create the conversion formula from your system to the one used here in the US. Namely, if I multiply the USA numbers by ~.0259, they roughly equate to your numbers. Likewise, if you multiply your country's numbers by ~39, they roughly equate to the USA numbers.

The reference ranges on your test, therefore, are roughly equal to 136 - 195. And your numbers, if I got the formulas and math correct, are equal to about a 62.5 in US terms.

The research paper available at http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3074286/ gives some interesting observations. Perhaps the most important of which are described in the "Anemia" section repeated below:

"Hypocholesterolemia has been described in various types of chronic anemia [12–17]. Few studies have suggested that such patients have a lower incidence of atherosclerosis associated events [12]. Types of anemia that have been reported to be associated with hypocholesterolemia include: congenital dyserythropoietic anemia [12], congenital spherocytosis [12, 13], sickle cell anemia [14], beta-thalassemia [12, 15], aplastic anemia [16] and sideroblastic anemia [17]. The exact etiology of hypocholesterolemia in anemic patients is not known and the data are not sufficient, however several studies postulated different mechanisms [12, 16–19], and some authors even suggest that hypocholesterolemia might be the cause rather than the consequence of anemia which is explained by the fact that cholesterol deficiency leads to rigidity of the erythrocytes [20] making them more prone to destruction. Hypocholesterolemia tends to occur in patients with chronic anemia and increased erythropoietic activity, and it has been suggested that this is due to increased cholesterol requirements by the proliferating erythroid cells [12]. Some researchers have demonstrated hypocholesterolemia in patients with aplastic anemia and correlated this with the elevated serum level of macrophage colony stimulating factor (M-CSF), which is known to have cholesterol-lowering activity, and they found that pretreatment total serum cholesterol and triglyceride levels nicely correlate with the counts of hemopoietic cells in the bone marrow. They concluded that low serum lipids suggest severe bone marrow failure in these patients and can help to predict the therapeutic response of each case of aplastic anemia [16]. Other researchers demonstrated a significant increase in serum cholesterol following splenectomy in patients with hypersplenism and preoperative hypocholesterolemia. They suggest a possible role of the spleen in lipid metabolism in these patients [19]. Bjerve et al reported a case of sideroblastic anemia and hypocholesterolemia due to autoantibodies against LDL causing an increased LDL catabolism [17]. Another animal study suggested that hypocholesterolemia in anemic mice is related to a decreased in vivo hepatic cholesterol synthesis [18]."

In any event, it can't hurt much to bring some of these issues up to your Dr. for consideration.

Again, thank you for your input and help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chirley View Post
I've never had a HDL/LDL ratio done just a total cholesterol and our measurement system must be different to yours because the last one I can find my last cholesterol was 1.6 and the range was 3.5-5.0

Last edited by lurker69 : Wed Oct 15, 2014 at 09:15 PM. Reason: clarity