View Single Post
Old Tue May 30, 2017, 11:01 PM

I completed my second cycle of Vidaza on May 21. I was fortunate as I was transferred to the Regional Cancer Centre at my local hospital., which is a 15 minute drive from my home. The only drawback is that the Cancer Centre is closed on the weekend so I have to drive an hour in and an hour back to The Tom Baker Cancer Hospital in Calgary on Sat and Sun. My first day at my home centre all of the nurses came to me and introduced themselves. They were all so supportive and to a person stressed that while Iwas with them I was the most important person in their life. I was amazed how busy they were and found out later that in addition to the large area they serviced south of Calgary a number of people from Calgary were coming here because of the new facilities and being able to get better times for treatment. Monday to Friday flew by and without exception the needles went in and out almost without feeling. After the Fri treatment Nancy the Clinic Clerk came to me with my times for Cycle 3. Four of the times were the same but one time was 15 minutes later. She apologized twice for this saying that they try to keep the times the same,because the patients have bigger concerns on their mind. Saturday I made my first visit to Tom Baker Hospital. It is part of a huge Medical Complex that includes the University of Calgary School of Medicine. Parking is a problem but I learned that the Royal Canadian Legion where i am a member had free parking passes and stalls for Vets. Thank goodness as parking was a problem. The Chemo area was huge and filled to capacity. The nurses were certainly friendly but there was no extra time available for chit chat. Needles went in and out smoothly. I find that I am quite sore at some of the places where the injections were given(2 each time). Also at these spots there is a lump that forms under the skin. It has now been over a week since my last injections and there is one spot that is still very sore. The other spots have have greatly improved. I continue to inject myself with Eprex onceca week to increase RBC and this has kept the Hgl up around 116 even after the first cycle of Vidaza. Otherwise the first CBC showed most areas had fallen. My Oncologist was not overly concerned and we will see what happens after the second cycle. I get my blood taken this Thursday and have my Oncologist appointment the following Tuesday. Personally my main complaint is a lack of stamina. Yesterday and today my wife and myself were getting our home ready outside for summer. I have a hard time accepting I am unable to do long term physical tasks I did in the past and was wiped out when we were finished. I have not had a blood transfusion as yet and my Oncologist is one who believes in putting his patients on Vidaza before they become dependant on Blood transfusions. I believe that I have come through this second cycle in better physical shape than the first. Hopefully the results of my CBC will prove me right. Like a number of you I am facing my situation as a challenge. I am not as badly off as many who post on this Board and who are doing their best not to let this disease beat them without a fight. You folks are my heros and I can only hope that over time I can show the same courage that you display

May God Bless Us All