View Single Post
Old Sun Oct 1, 2006, 01:39 PM

Bob, are you sure you don't just have the flu? I haven't heard of those kind of symptoms from discontinuing cyclo, most people say they feel better, although I suppose anything is possible.

I agree with Ruth and Vince about the importance of a slow taper. The increased risk of cancer is a valid reason to taper off, but unless there's an immediate threat I don't see why it has to be done so quickly. My husband's doctor put Ken on a faster taper than I thought was a good idea following his first ATG. He went from 200 mg/day to 100/day for a month (with no problems), and then nothing. His Plts dipped as soon as he stopped, but seemed to be holding steady for about a month, and then both Plts and Hgb went into a nosedive. Resuming cyclo did nothing, so that meant a second ATG, which turned it around. I really feel that if he'd done a slower taper and resumed cyclo as soon as he saw a dip he might have avoided the ATG, but we'll never know.

I'm not sure why your doctor says you're not likely to have any further AA problems. People do relapse, and a lot of people are dependant on cyclo forever to keep their counts up. I understand the reasons for wanting to withdraw it, but caution is best, and reassurances without evidence are not very helpful in my opinion.

-Lisa