View Single Post
Old Sat Oct 22, 2011, 05:29 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori Patrick View Post
Hi everyone. I am 10 months post transplant and have minor skin gvh. My liver numbers were high and I was put on 60 mg of prednisone for 3 months. It was then discovered that my liver was not gvh but the toxicity level was high due to two meds. I am on 5mg of prednisone and have been for 2 weeks. My blood tests yesterday showed all my numbers good except my platelets, which are 30,000. Has anyone experienced this? My doc took blood to test for % donor (which has been 100%) and I am on pins and needles now. Doc didn't seem too concerned. I have a bad cold and he said it could be because of that????????????????????????????????
Lori,

Your situation sounds a lot like mine in the months after my transplant in 1998. My platelets were the last thing to come back. It took about 4 months before I got to 50,000 and another couple of months before I got to 100,000. If your counts are otherwise ok, I wouldn't worry about low platelets for a while. You are pretty safe at 30,000. The switch from 60mg to 5mg of prednisone should help boost your platelet count but it may take a couple of weeks before you see a change. And, a cold could certainly suppress your counts temporarily.

Hope this helps.

Ruth