View Single Post
Old Mon Feb 8, 2010, 09:36 AM

Smile Hi Deana

I had a story like yours too. When I went in to have my daughter (in Houston) in 2001, they did a CBC that was so low, they had to intubate me and give me an emergency c-section. My hgb was 6, platelets 60 K. I was followed 6 years (with CBC's and some bone marrow biopsies) with no answers. I decided to move to Austin to try to get healthier. I saw several diff doctors & was diagnosed in 2007 with moderate/severe aplastic anemia. My doc (I had to drive to Dallas from Austin to finally get diagnosed) was ready to do a transplant, and I said, "Wait a minute, not so fast!), and got a 2nd opinion at the NIH (where they study AA). Dr. Neal Young told me I only had mild, and that they don't do anything for mild, you just had to take care of yourself. That was 3 years ago, now I have moderate and got my first blood transfusion in December 2009 (right before going to Disneyworld for the first time!). I am about to start taking Danazol next month, maybe it will slow my disease progression. I am also learning all about diet, and how it affects your health. You are younger than me, and shouldn't feel so crappy, but it could have to do with how you eat too. If you don't want to get sicker, you may want to look into a vegetarian diet. Most people that have beat cancer advocate a Raw diet, this is hard to do, but I'm trying the vegetarian route. Good luck & if you'd like to keep in touch, you can send me a message. Hugs and hang in there...Linda
Linda, 47 yo, married, mother of a teen, moderate AA w/ TERC mutation (2007 NIH), Pulmonary Fibrosis 2010, was on Danazol study (Aug 2011-2013 & restarted 9/14/15), last transfusion May 2011. On Promacta now. Needing a double lung and stem cell transplant.