View Single Post
Old Mon Aug 18, 2008, 10:57 AM

Marilin,

On the Radon, how long have you been in the house? I would think it would take a fairly long time for it effect health. Also, did you have granite installed anywhere? In the last few weesk they have been reporting that some granites can emit radon/uranium also. Some of the more exotic types. Someone said get a gieger counter to see how active your granite is. Of course, we have it in our kitchen since 95.

Did your docs run a 24 hour toxic urine test and also hair analysis? John had a hair analysis done when he was first diagnosed and his uranium was high. Subsequent tests, 2 and 5 years out, show it normal. No doc thought this had anything to do with AA. John has also had, post treatment, his red cells tested for heavy metals, his urine tested again and his blood serum for orananic compounds (like pesticides, toxic chemicals).

I know radium can collect in bones and fatty tissue of marrow but that has never been tied to causing AA. Per the report from the hair analysis, Uranium (U) is very abundent in rock, particulary granite. It's in the ground, drinking water, root vegetables and high phospate fertilizers. Also found in ceramics, some colored glass, househould products (uranyl acetate) and tailing from U mines. U binds to protine, nucleotide and bone where it substitutes for calcium. Kidney and bone are the primary sites for U accumulation.

The other thing I would check would be the soil in your yard especially where the kids play.

Marlene
Marlene, wife to John DX w/SAA April 2002, Stable partial remission; Treated with High Dose Cytoxan, Johns Hopkins, June 2002. Final phlebotomy 11/2016. As of July 2021 HGB 12.0, WBC 4.70/ANC 3.85, Plts 110K.