View Single Post
Old Fri Mar 3, 2017, 03:43 AM

Air travel with low counts, any helpful ideas?

Hello everyone,
My brother is a match, my transplant is set for mid-April, but before my SCT, I will need to fly out of the country.

My flight is a bit long, Tokyo- San Francisco non-stop. Then flying back SFO-Narita again in a few weeks time. My hematologist has booked me for a transfusion a day before I fly, because my counts are too low : WBC 1.4, RBC 2.94 and especially Plts 22 only.

Besides low counts, I have joint pains, fatigue and diarrhea - I know, I shouldn't be flying right!? But it's a visa thing so I have to. To those brave hearts who have gone before me:

- Could you tell me your symptoms while up in the air? (I'm imagining dizziness, heart palpations, out of breath, swollen feet...)
- What did you bring to alleviate your symptoms? (a pillow maybe? headphones? some food and drinks?)
- and other questions I should be asking????

I've searched through this forum in the travel with low counts, and came up with an important detail, having a prescription to go with the meds is a recommended when going through security check points.

Actually I haven't flown since 2011, so please, just throw out your ideas, they might be more helpful than you think!

Meri