View Single Post
Old Thu Aug 27, 2009, 12:46 PM

Lisa pretty much covered what I was going to say about AA and hypocellular MDS but I just wanted to add that ATG can work really really well so don't get too disenheartened that his brother isn't a match. I had AA in 1984 when I was 5 (and maybe MDS as well, but they didn't really have accurate tests then) and my equine ATG worked beautifully well for 25 years - absolutely normal childhood and adolescence without another thought about "that thing I had as a kid". And who knows what new kinds of treatments will be available when the ATG eventually wears off? In my case, BMTs are certainly less risky now than they were then!

And if it helps you at all, I hardly remember any of the bad things from my time in hospital, but I certainly remember all the fun stuff like new toys and watching Mister Mom in the tv room and visits from clowns and playing Atari. And all those prods gave me a lifelong superpower for needles!
36/F - 1984 SAA treated with ATG [complete remission until] Oct 08 - burst blood vessels in eyes and low platelets; Jan 09 - AA & hypo-MDS; July 09 - BMT (RIC MUD PSCT) July 10 - 10k for Anthony Nolan (1yr post BMT! 53:48) Sep 10 - Wedding! I've run 5 marathons now!! (PB 3:30!)