View Single Post
Old Tue May 1, 2012, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlene View Post
John had surgery to repair a torn quad tendon. At the time, his platelets were in the 30's so they transfused platelets prior to and during surgery. He ended up getting some red cells after but then his HGB was only up to 10 at the time and he had already lost some blood from the torn tendon. Even when his platelets were at 8K, he did not experience serious bleeding.

Both our docs say the 50K is the level at which you can have surgical procedures.
I had liver surgery 15 years ago, to remove an adenom the size of a fist, caused by the continuous tetosterone intake for 15 years after SAA (treated with horse ATG).
My platelets count was at 44K and the surgeon indicated vitamin K injections in a week period (I believe they were 2 shots), then retest for platelets. They went up to 55K and I was operated the next day "to still get them fresh". They used a laser scalpel to reduce bleeding, I didn´t need any transfusions at all, not before, during or after surgery. Before surgery I "donated" my own blood in case it was needed during surgery, and they didn´t use it either (it was the first blood unit to be used if needed). The tumor tested as benign, but it was just about to turn into a bad one, they removed it just on time.
Because the adenom´s cause was most likely the steroids intake for so long (they compared it with bodybuilder diagnoses to make a parallel), I had them completely removed from one day to the other, and my platalets count dropped from 45K to 30K. I have been living with those low levels since then, 15 years ago.

Kind regards,

Joaquin