View Single Post
Old Thu Mar 21, 2013, 01:59 AM

Hi, age match, from what I understand is not used as a factor. Gender match may be considered but its not a major factor, depending on the other factors, from what I understand.

Regarding privacy, Once my donor committed, my clinic was able to share only his sex, age, and country. These are international donor rules until 1 year following transplant for the US and apparently 2 years for some other countries, as long as both the donor and recipient consent. Apparently it protects both sides as some recipients or donors may not want to know. I definitely do so was thrilled my donor reached out to me but the communications can not be direct yet. All he knew about me before my transplant was my age and sex and perhaps country. I was then allowed in my return letter to mention my illness, & let him know how well I'm doing, and a bit about my family. It's not an option for me to share more info at this point or it would have been blacked out in my return letter by my clinic. There were a few word blacked out in his letter to me.

Best

Last edited by dfantle : Thu Mar 21, 2013 at 03:37 PM.