View Single Post
Old Fri Mar 16, 2007, 11:55 AM

Update on BMT of 14th Feb 2007

It's been a while since I last reported on my BMT of 14th of Feb this year. I went home 2 weeks after my BMT and it all went well for almost two weeks. Then I started with some problems. I have had some minor set-backs. Serious mouth ulcers,a throat infection and skin problems due to the heavy chemo treatments prior to the BMT. I have also developed the CMV Virus in my blood. It is being treated intravenously with antibiotics, hence me being back in hospital. The first lot of antibiotics caused migraines, severe nausea, which in turn caused sudden weight loss. ( I ended up weighing 47 kilogrammes). But it is all under control again. Hopefully I will be going home again tomorrow... My blood levels are looking very good. My HB is around 7 and my platelets have stabelized around 180 000. I am due for a bone marrow biopsy on Monday so will then know for sure whether the new bone marrow is doing it's work or not... I am very positive as always and know that I wll be cured in good time. I feel very strong and despite the set backs, I feel much stronger than before the BMT.
I am now off all drugs, except the antibiotic for the virus. No more prednison!!!
This was the best thing that ever happened to me. I had a very easy "ride" throughout my BMT and the worst experience of it all was the side effects from the chemo therapy. Those will also go away with time. This was certainly a far easier ordeal than the ATG treatment I went through in January last year. What a nice surprise, as the doctors told me that the BMT would be harder than the ATG treatment.
I pray that this is a good sign as to what is still in store for me. Thanks again to all you wonderful people out there with whom I can share this. As I have said before, being able to share one's experience with people who are in the same boat, makes it a lot easier to deal with...
Take care.
Nina