Thread: Newly Diagnosed
View Single Post
Old Mon Nov 3, 2008, 06:57 PM

Newly Diagnosed

Hi all. I've recently been diagnosed with MDS. I have acquired this from prior chemotherapy for breast cancer. My red cells keep falling. My white cells are low but stable and my platelets normal.

I have Intermediate 1 MDS, RA. Normal chromosomes. I had my first transfusion a few weeks ago.

It seems I'm in the early stages, but I'm not sure if I'm asking my doctors the right questions as I don't have a lot of info I am reading on this thread. Maybe you can help me know what I need to ask??

The talk is going back and forth between needing a stem cell transplant and monitoring and getting transfusions. As of today and my most recent BMB which showed no change, the current plan is to monitor.

They said I'm being watched for now to see if I need transfusions too often, or if anything else changes then I'll need a BMT. They are searching for a matched donor. My only sibling is not a match. I was told on the preliminary screening I have a potential 3 perfect matches and 200 or so near matches, but they need to further search the compatibility and availability of these donors. Is there something I should be looking for/asking as my doctors do this search?

Thanks for any help you can give. I'm quite overwhelmed, and other than this very healthy!!!

Are there more specific questions I should be asking about my condition? I don't really have a handle on this, but do have confidence in my doctors.