View Single Post
Old Fri Sep 11, 2009, 11:07 AM

Focus on something else...

Hi Neil,

I try NOT to be stuck at home, I do travel (we cruise a lot!) and go out when I'm feeling well. When I'm out and about, I'm very careful about not touching any door handles, or any surfaces that other people might touch. I wash my hands constantly when on the road, and I'm very careful in public bathrooms. If my ANC is low, only cooked foods for me.

The longest I was in the hospital was 17 days during ATG treatment, and most of that was in isolation because I was positive for two flu strains. My salvation was the combination TV/PC in my room. I watched more news shows than I can count, read many books, and kept in touch with family and friends via email and telephone. The contact was tremendously supportive, everyone kept asking when I was going to get Call Waiting on my phone! But I always tried to focus the conversations on what else was going on, besides my health problems.

I was always used to long, brisk walks outside; now, the treadmill is my friend. The trick is to start out slowly, and keep increasing your time and level of exercise. I've been able to work up to an impressive routine on it, and the best thing is - I can always cut it short if I start to get tired. That's something I could not do when I found myself a mile or two from home, and with no energy left.

When I'm not feeling well, I think reading is the best diversion. It forces you to focus on something besides your latest (low) counts, and doctor's dire words, and miserable symptoms, and gives you a few hours away from your own life, and into the lives of other people. It's also best done while eating chocolate.