View Single Post
Old Fri May 2, 2008, 07:09 AM

Late Pop UpDate 5/2/2008

Hello,
I know I am late with Pop's up date this week, but I wanted to get all that facts. It has been an odd one.

Tuesday he went in for the weekly blood test. His platelets were o.k., {23} but his blood count was {7.9} so the lined him up for 2 units the next day. After receiving the blood on Wednesday, the retest showed his blood count did not come up. So, after another retest, it was up to {8.7}, but his platelets dropped to {13}. Thursday, "yesterday" he went in for his usual Chemo, Neuprogin and Procrit shot's, and got a bag of platelets. He really does not feel much better. The last two weeks have been filled with shortness of breath, night sweats, itching, head aches and minor bone pain. "neuprogin?" No one will pull the trigger in an idea of where he is in the journey, partly because he outlasted their predictions by 4 months. Thats Pop, always screwing with time lines.

He feels that he is nearing the final chapter. He told me that, unlike before, he feels it. I don't understand, but I do. Does that make sense? He is happy that he will be here for his latest goal. My wife, Angie, graduates from college next Friday. he really wanted to be there. She is glad.

The Blood drive was yesterday. Wow, what a turn out. Blood Assurance of Chattanooga did a GREAT job. In 7 hours, with 3 blood techs and 4 beds, they did 43 units of blood and 2 platelets. Yes platelets. They had just received a new mini-machine. Pop made an appearance and gave the crew of the "Blood Hound" the blood mobile, a box of chocolates and a card and passed out hugs. He had a rough day to begin with, and still found the strength to do that. The drive ended at 7 p.m. and the last donor left at 7:45. I stuck around to thank the last one and to give the Blood hound crew their needed kudos. Really nice and professional people.

I could go on forever, but I won't. Remember, there is a need to bleed, so do it!

Scott

Son Of Bob

p.s. Oh, I get an MRI at the V.A. next Friday, so I'll Keep you all posted.
Scott, Son of BOB. My father, diagnosed 9/07 with "hypo-cellular acute bone marrow Leukemia" AA, AML & MDS. He was 77 years old 08/25/2008. He was being treated with Ara-C, blood and platelets w/needed. Stopped blood treatments 12/08/08 & passed 12/23/2008. Pop was the best father and friend.