View Single Post
Old Sun Oct 16, 2011, 02:14 PM

Well, I can tell you that a good thing I'm seeing in her blood counts is that her MCV isn't high. MCV is the mean cell volume. When it runs high, it tells you that your bone marrow is having to work hard to produce the cells it needs to sustain you. Since hers is not high, it would make me believe that the issue at hand may have more to do with some other virus or illness that is affecting her counts rather than a bone marrow failure issue. However, the constant night sweats and fever are definitely concerning. It sounds like the doctors are doing the best they can, though. Her counts are definitely not critical, so keep that little ray of sunshine in your pocket and hopefully you will get answers soon. I have children myself (one of whom had health issues that went a couple years before diagnosis) and I know how horrible it feels to feel helpless when it comes to making your baby feel better.

36 yr. old, dx SAA in Jan 1996, treated with ATG in Mar. 1996, off cyclosporine Sept. 1996, last blood transfusion in Aug. 1997, slow decline in counts again November 2010, AA and current count decline thought to be caused by lupus, currently taking 400mg Plaquinil