View Single Post
Old Sun Aug 27, 2017, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majorindy View Post
Anyone been diagnosed with these two gene mutations. If yes, how long ago and your present status. My present diagnosis is MDS Low Risk but everything I read about these two mutations point to a much shorter survival time. Seems puzzling to me that they say get a blood test every three months when it appears things could change quickly.
Hi Marjoindy,

The field of genomics is so new and rapidly changing that I don't think conclusions can be made about any specific mutation yet. It is my understanding that having a mutation doesn't mean that you will necessarily get a specific disease. It just means that you are statistically more likely to, should that gene become activated. Barb is good case in point. I am watching one of the AAMDSIF on-line courses and the treatment of care for someone in the low risk group, even with gene mutations, is to monitor counts every 1-6 months. If you would like things monitored more frequently for your own piece of mind, I am sure your doctors would honor your request. It seems like a very reasonable request to me!

Good luck, and I hope things stay stable!