View Single Post
Old Thu Aug 2, 2007, 09:25 AM

Coping with work

Hi,
I'm writing to ask how others with this disease cope with working and managing their doc visits and treatment schedules? I am a teacher and I do not have tenure as I have just finished my second year at my current school. At the end of school last year, the folks at the administration building began giving me grief due to the amount of time I have to miss due to doc visits and treatment schedules. For MDS, I have to miss 1/2 day every month to see my doc before I begin my Vidaza treatments. I get 2 shots of Vidaza daily for seven days. In order to get to treatment, I leave with students - teachers are supposed to be on duty for an addition 45 minutes. I also am in stage 4 renal failure due to polycystic kidney disease. As of right now, I am not on dialysis (required at stage 5 renal failure), but I have to miss 1/2 day every 3 - 6 months to visit kidney doc. Please, if anyone has any suggestions about managing work and doc appointments/treatment schedules, I'd love to hear from you. Thanks for all of your support,
Kathy
Kathy, 47, diagnosed with MDS IPSS Intermediate Risk, Refractory Anemia and Thrombocytopenia both secondary to MDS. 8/06-treatments include 14 shots Vidaza monthly, aeranesp, neulasta when needed also have polycystic kidney disease