View Single Post
Old Thu Oct 3, 2013, 06:17 PM

Atg--omg!!!!

Well, the honeymoon period is definitely over. I went in to find Doug in good spirits. We walked the halls as usual and he was in good spirits. Then they started the IV! The nurse said that they were doing premeds before the ATG. He had a huge dose of Benadryl. We learned from transfusions that he needs very little to make him "loopy." But this dose would have taken down an elephant! He started shaking in his arms and legs, felt very nauseous and his respiration was tanking! It was the first really scary moment we have had in the hospital. I guess you think you are prepared for things, but when they hit, you certainly are not. Next came Demerol and some other anti nausea stuff. He finally settled down after the nurse helped him with deep breathing. I tried to help also, but wearing the mask I was hyperventilating myself and ready to pass out! Nice to know that I will be so helpful:

Anyway, he did calm down and pretty much slept the afternoon. He had no desire for food and they said that was just fine. The nurse assured me that tomorrow's dose should go much better. But YIKES!!!!

I know that this is all part and parcel of what is to happen. I also know that there will probably be harder times ahead. But it is so hard, as you all know, to watch someone you love go through this and feel absolutely helpless.

It makes me really appreciate the good days of the past week!!!

Deb