Thread: Onconova Trial
View Single Post
Old Thu Jan 20, 2011, 08:43 PM

Hey Paula!

I'm not too smart about the various cell counts in a BMB, but your Mom's appear to all be in the normal range, with a couple of exceptions. The neutrophils are at 29, which is just 1 away from the high end of normal. The lymphocytes are way high at 35, when the top of normal is 15. So maybe your local doc was worried about transformation to some type of leukemia?

Anyway, the cytogenetics of 46,XX [20} means your Mom is female and has normal chromosomes.

So she doesn't get any IPSS points for cytogenetics. But the 9% blasts would have added 0.5 points, giving her a score of 1, which is still INT-1, lower risk.

I don't put much stock in the IPSS survival rates, since they are all based on data from before there was anything other than supportive care. The official IPSS prognosis for INT-1 is 3.5 years, but, like I say, that's based on data from before Vidaza and Onconova. Plus, every patient is an individual.

Hope that's useful. Glad your Mom's blasts have dropped so far from the 9%.

Take Care.

Greg
Greg, 59, dx MDS RCMD Int-1 03/10, 8+ & Dup1(q21q31). NIH Campath 11/2010. Non-responder. Tiny telomeres. TERT mutation. Danazol at NIH 12/11. TX independent 7/12. Pancreatitis 4/15. 15% blasts 4/16. DX RAEB-2. Beginning Vidaza to prep for MUD STC. Check out my blog at www.greghankins.com