Thread: MDS
View Single Post
Old Fri Jun 15, 2007, 01:03 PM

MDS

Hello, my name is Gayle and my husband Bob was diagonsed with MDS 4 1/2 years ago. He had never been sick and we were spending the winters in Texas and 3 days before we left he started feeling sick. Cold like symptons. We came home and he started getting worse. Went to the doctor and they said he needed to go to a lung spec. We went, they tried to take fluid out of his lungs but nothing would come out. They put him in the hospital and diagonsed him with Klebsellia virus. You only get this if you are a drug addict,(which he was not) or a diabetic, (which we found out he was). They had to cut open his lung and scrape out his lung. This viral infection does not respond to any antibotics. They also because of his being a diabetic and his blood counts durning this surgery determined that he had MDS. He started out on Thalimoide, then he did Vidazza for two years and is now starting to do Dacogen. He had had one round and supposed to start the second round this coming Monday. His last blood count was: WBC 0.8 RBC 2.48 HGB 7.1 and PLT 11. Last blood count his platlets were 0!!! He gets one unit of platelets every week and two units of blood. The last two weeks the blood only lasted a couple of days and he's back to being short of breath, no energy and weak. He also gets a Procrit shot weekly. My question is how long do you have to be on Dacogen before seeing any progress? He only has about 3% blasts and has maintained that for the last 4 1/2 years, but the transfusions lately don't seem to be doing him any good. Is this normal with Dacogen? If anyone has any info I would appreciate hearing from you. Thank you.

Last edited by Gayle : Fri Jun 15, 2007 at 01:06 PM. Reason: spelling