Thread: ATG
View Single Post
Old Tue Jun 19, 2007, 10:02 AM

ATG

Hi everyone!

Can those of you who have been through ATG therapy tell me what, as a caregiver, I can do to make this any easier or less stressful for someone.

Can you tell me what to expect. I realize it is different for different people but I'm starting out with a patient who is clostrophobic and afraid to be shut in a little room for ten days to begin with and of course petrified to be in a hospital situation with NO white blood cells.

Is the ATG treatment likely to make things worse before they, hopefully, get better. With wbc of .7 and no neutrophils it can't go very much lower. I know I have read it can be very painful, is the pain likelly to start right away or wait until the body starts having a problem with reaction to the drugs? Does what they use to control the pain usually work? I'm trying to get some idea in advance how we might head some of this off or at least figure a way to help pass the time. I'm not sure if the hospital TV's are equipped for DVD's or not. There was a problem with that last time, and she says she can't concentrate to read, etc.

I appreciate ANY suggestions offered.

Bobbye