Thread: ATG
View Single Post
Old Wed Jun 20, 2007, 11:44 PM

ATG

Bobbye,
All I can really say is to be there when you can. My husband came to visit me each day. Except one, I was too sick that day. I had a tv with a video machine in my room. I borrowed videos of our Church service to watch. It is hard to concentrate though. A friend gave me some little games, like tiny puzzles, and little key chain games. I assume she will have a telephone in her room also. And my husband brought me some of the mail to read. Like cards. I did sleep a lot also.
Warm no-slip socks or slippers are very helpful too, as I got very, very cold.
All of my blood cells dropped very low. So you might expect that to be a possiblity. It takes a long time for the blood counts to go back up again, so try a lot of patience.
While in the hospital room, I was not able to have much company for a few days. Any company had to wash their hands, and could not enter the room if they had even sniffles. I had to wear a mask if I left the room.
As far as pain went, it seems to me that most of it started about a week after treatment. I was pretty lucky there. Didn't have much bone pain. That could be from Neupogen. I did have terrible head aches, but they came when it was about time for a red cell transfusion. They did give me meds to help with the head aches and the transfusion helped also. You can always try other meds if one doesn't work for you. Just explain to the Dr. that one doesn't work. They will prescribe another.
Bobbye, we are here for each other. We like to help when we can. If you wish, you can write me at
prissy1922@aol.com
Good luck!!!! Hang in there, it does get better.
Connie (diagnosed SSA in 2000. Took ATG, short remission. Then took ALG in 2001.
Now in full remission?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbye A View Post
Hi everyone!

Can those of you who have been through ATG therapy tell me what, as a caregiver, I can do to make this any easier or less stressful for someone.

Can you tell me what to expect. I realize it is different for different people but I'm starting out with a patient who is clostrophobic and afraid to be shut in a little room for ten days to begin with and of course petrified to be in a hospital situation with NO white blood cells.

Is the ATG treatment likely to make things worse before they, hopefully, get better. With wbc of .7 and no neutrophils it can't go very much lower. I know I have read it can be very painful, is the pain likelly to start right away or wait until the body starts having a problem with reaction to the drugs? Does what they use to control the pain usually work? I'm trying to get some idea in advance how we might head some of this off or at least figure a way to help pass the time. I'm not sure if the hospital TV's are equipped for DVD's or not. There was a problem with that last time, and she says she can't concentrate to read, etc.

I appreciate ANY suggestions offered.

Bobbye