View Single Post
Old Wed Nov 30, 2011, 12:46 AM

Well, yes, I confess to frequent trickery in the name of - "the means justifies the end". I could tell you some stories!

According to his hematologist, Dad never needed transfusions because he wasn't anemic. Going purely on the CBCs - it seems to me the only thing he could die from would be a serious infection, or internal bleeding. Would that be right? The doctor never gave much detail, nor did he present Vidaza with much hope. I can't wait to see how he responds when I press him for details on the tests. I'll probably have to act like the 'dumb woman' so I don't rile up his ego. So tiresome....! I just can't help but wonder if this dramatic improvement over the past month isn't due to the effects of those 3 Vidaza treatments 3 months done the line. Guess there's no way to know for sure.

As far as hospice, they don't understand my motive for the blood work. I guess they are purely palliative care and have no incentive to lose a patient back into active treatment. (Is that cynical?)

I take your point about asking dad if he's up for a fight. And I think he is. Then comes working out the living and care-giving arrangements. Not easy - especially because he has 2 dogs that he cannot live without. That rules out assisted-living. Shame - because in some ways I think he would benefit from having more social contact than he does.

I'll try the doctor again tomorrow for the test results. Very curious. It's amazing the range in platelet count that your husband is experiencing. I'll say a little prayer for his continued progress.

Many thanks, again...