View Single Post
Old Thu Nov 12, 2009, 10:44 PM

going in for ATG next week

Please forgive me if I ask questions that have been covered many times before. I just found this wonderful forum last night. I'm 68 years old and have a mAA diagnosis after being treated for NHL IV with Rituxan. My blood counts have continued to drop for almost a year and now platelets are down to 14 and RBC and WBC well below normal. I've been to see Dr Brodsky at Johns Hopkins and he now agrees that I need ATG. I've been on oral cyclosporin plus antibiotics for 4 months without remission of blood decline. Next week I go in for at least a week of ATG (don't know if it's horse or rabbit). I'm naturally somewhat anxious because of my age and also the serious reports of serum sickness. Can anyone give me an idea of what to expect during my hospitalization? I'll get 5 infusions over 7 days and expect I'll get benadryl and steroids as a precaution. I get a dual lumen port implanted next Wednesday so things are getting pretty busy for me. I'll get two units of platelets on Monday so hopefully they will last 2 days for the port procedure. Any information would be very much appreciated.
Thanks
Fly guy