View Single Post
Old Fri Jan 13, 2017, 10:30 AM

Hi ForDad,
Don was given Exjade to get rid of the iron load. If I remember correctly it was started after his last transfusions although I can't swear to that. I do know that the Exjade was started in the summer but by Dec. his kidney function was being affected so it was stopped. It has since dropped to the point that his ferritin was actually too low. He had to go on iron supplements for a short while and it's now normal.
Don's doctor in Richmond is an oncologist/hematologist. Although I understand it's your father's wishes that make these decisions - as complex as hematology is, I would only want Don to go to a hematologist. I just don't believe an oncologist can understand these complex blood diseases as
well.
Although 76 sounds young to me due to my age I think it's very common for elderly patients to go with the familiar even if it's not the best decision in choosing their care providers for their conditions. I know how frustrating that can be for you. I don't know his other health issues but it may be the case that he's just tired and doesn't want to deal with intense chemo. I'm with you though - I wish he would go to a hematologist. But whatever, it ultimately is his decision as you know. I hope that will bring you peace with whatever happens.
I wish you both well and if I can be of any further help please let me know.
Sally

Last edited by Sally C : Fri Jan 13, 2017 at 06:32 PM.